Anarcho-Punk / Thrash
1985 - 1986
- Mark Palmer (vocals)
- Michelle Winn (vocals)
- Rob Jefferson (guitar)
- Mark Davy (bass)
- Brian Critchley (keyboards)
- Gavin Sturges (drums)
Swift (or The Swift) were an activist-based Anarchist band playing Psychedelic Anarcho-Punk / Thrash. Swift was formed after the band "The Abnormal" (Gavin - Vocals/Guitar), Rob (guitar/Vocals), Melvin Bartholemew (Bass), Julian Evenden (Drums) disbanded. "The Abnormal" formed in 1983 and played only a few gigs including Southlands High School, New Romney; South Ashford Youth Club, Ashford.
Swift were involved in benefit gigs for the miners during the strike of 1984/85, and band members also participated in and supported direct action campaigns, most notably "Stop the City", Hunt Saboteurs, and a number of Animal Rights actions & demonstrations . Incidentally, Swift were scheduled to play with Conflict and Liberty at the Wig and Gavel, Ashford sometime in 1985; however, the gig was mysteriously cancelled by the W & G allegedly at the behest of the Fire Brigade!
- "The Abnormal" - Gavin, Rob, Melvin, Julian
- "Steve Dreher & Friends" - Gavin
- Death Scream Torture Machine - Mark P.
- The Dale Coopers - Brian
- Sham 69 - Rob
- 1985/6? 'The More Tea Tapes' demo
These are the only details for which details have been found.
- 12/09/85 - Ashford, Wig + Gavel (+ Long At The Fair)
- 24/10/85 - Ashford, Wig + Gavel (+ Long At The Fair + Ordered Lives)
- 29/11/85 - Ramsgate, Concord (+ Fire For A Generation)
- 25/01/86 - Dover, 365 Club (supp. Arch Criminals + Fightback , with Atavistic )
- 20/03/86 - Ashford, Wig + Gavel (+ Eye + Atavistic )
- 09/05/86 - Broadstairs, Pavilion (final gig - drums never showed up, so band didn't play)